Easy installation is the main thing you’ll notice (and appreciate) about the Nuna PIPA. Its True Lock system with color-coded indicators (green means installation is complete; red tells you there’s more to do) lets you know when all the buckles are fastened and locks are in place. It also features a European belt path which makes it easy to install even without a base—handy for parents who are in a hurry or often ride in taxis or rental cars. At less than 8 lbs, the PIPA is also a really light car seat, and considering you’ll have a baby in it, too, the lighter the better.
This seat gets points for safety and comfort. A fold-down stability leg wedges against the car floor, absorbing collision forces in an accident and stabilizing your baby’s ride the rest of the time. The pull-down canopy, called the Dream Drape, creates a shady cocoon for your babe, while the mesh window lets you check in on them.
Another callout for its high-end fabrics. All the materials used in this seat are flame resistant, but without any added fire retardant chemicals—among the very few car seats on the market without fire retardants.
When it comes to cleaning, it’s a pain to remove the seat cover for the PIPA because you have to unthread the harness. It’s machine washable in cold water.
An additional base can also be purchased to install the PIPA in multiple vehicles.
If you want to attach your infant car seat to a stroller, the PIPA is compatible with many popular stroller brands, and you’ll need an adapter (most are sold separately). The list of compatible strollers below isn’t exhaustive, but it includes strollers featured in the Babylist store.
- Nuna (adapter included with stroller): Demi Grow, MIXX, TAVO, PEPP
- Baby Jogger
- City Select / City Select Lux / City Premier (adapter sold separately)
- City Mini 2 / City Mini GT2 Single (adapter sold separately)
- Babyzen YOYO+ (adapter sold separately)
- BOB single strollers (adapter sold separately)
- Ergobaby 180 (adapter sold separately)
- Qool (adapter sold separately)
- Caboose S (adapter sold separately)
- Caboose Ultralight Graphite (adapter included with stroller)
- Urban Glide 2 / Urban Glide 2 Double / Glide 2 (adapter sold separately)
- Sleek (adapter sold separately)
- Child weight range: 4 - 32 lbs
- Child height limit: 32”
- Car seat carrier weight: 7.9 lbs
- Total car seat weight: 14 lbs
- Car seat dimensions: 21” x 17” x 28”
- Includes removable infant insert
- Five-point harness
- Premium microknit fabric
- Smartly sourced to be both flame resistant and contain no added fire retardant chemicals
- Ergonomic luxe leather-look carry handle
- Machine washable and air dry
- Aircraft certified
- Includes car seat base